Monday, February 13, 2012

Family Drama

It's not really drama...I just wish there was something I could do to help. Maybe if one of you has any knowledge of the law (as in law student or lawyer, not meaning you had to go to court or were in jail)....

The statute of limitation for medical malpractice is one year. One year. This is what every lawyer my grandma has talked to today has told her, and it's forcing her to break down and cry harder than I've ever seen her cry before...

In November of 2009, my grandma went into the hospital for horrible pains. They informed her that it was her sciatica and they put her in a local nursing home for therapy. The staff was very neglectful, and rarely came even when she pressed the little button thing. While there, they put her on too many painkillers. She didn't know who she was, where she was, or what was going on. They then put her on too many blood thinners. She bled out. She began throwing up blood. She was rushed back to the hospital where they pumped her stomach, and she was given 5 units of blood.

She didn't return home until the end of January 2010. Because of everything that happened at the nursing home, my grandma has bleeding ulcers, blood clots, and will never walk right again. I told her from the start that she should make a claim for malpractice, but the doctor who put her through this was her own doctor. Because my grandma is as kind-hearted as she is, she didn't want to put her doctor and her two young children through the court drama.

Her doctor told her that she would be back to full health in one year. Well it's 2012 and she's still having the same problems, if not more. I think this is stupid. I understand that there has to be some limit on how long you can wait to file a claim. But two years? They should allow that. This doctor should not be allowed to get away with what she did, especially if she's doing this with her other elderly patients.

I just wish I knew what to do. I mean, in my mind I want to be the superhero granddaughter who goes to the Supreme Court to get the law changed and get justice for her....but I'm just me.

::UPDATE:: "Why don't you help them out? I mean you claim to be getting so much money from your slaves, stop being a selfish brat." Yes, I get a decent amount of money from my subs & slaves, most of which is done through Amazon Gift Cards. What you're all over looking is the fact that the cash I get all goes towards paying for my education, my food, my clothes, my rent, my bills, and everything else.